Liposuction (also called lipoplasty or body contouring) is a surgical procedure that sculpts the body by using a suction technique that removes excess fat from various parts of the body. Normally, areas that need liposuction include abdomen, hips, buttocks, thighs, knees, chins, upper arms and cheeks. A liposuction is a great investment for your body and there are certain things you can do to get the best results. Discussed below are tips on how to prepare for liposuction surgery.
Consult With Your Doctor
During the consultation with your surgeon, details, risks and costs of the procedure are explained. Some doctors use technology to show you what you can expect after the procedure. The first consultation is very important because you have an idea of what the results could look like, and it takes away the doubts and fears. Keep in mind that liposuction improves your body shape but it doesn’t make it perfect. Your doctor will explain the approximate length of time your body may take to recover.
Preparing for Liposuction Surgery
Your doctor may advise you on certain things that you need to do before the surgery; they include:
- A medical evaluation and lab tests will be necessary. People who have life threatening diseases need special care during such procedures
- If you are on birth control pills, you will need to use other birth control measures. This will help reduce the risk of blood clots in your legs after the procedure
- Do not smoke for at least 8 weeks before the procedure; smoking may cause complications during the surgery. Bear in mind that you’ll resume smoking once you’ve completely recovered
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medication, some antibiotic, aspirin, ibuprofen and vitamins a week before the surgery. These drugs may lead to increased bleeding during and after liposuction
- If you’re undergoing general anesthesia, you should avoid food or drinks 6 hours before the surgery
Make Special Arrangements
In most cases, most patients will go home on the same day of the procedure. Due to the effects of the anesthesia, there are certain things you need to arrange before undergoing the procedure.
- You’ll still be dizzy after the surgery so you need to make sure there is someone driving you home
- Make sure you arrange for someone to help you with special care to help speed up your recovery
- Your body may be slightly swollen and painful so you need some baggy clothes
- Ensure that you have ample supply of vitamins and pain killers to ease the pain
- You may need some dressings to cover up incision areas
- Do your shopping, house cleaning and run other errands before your surgery so that you won’t have to worry about it during recovery
- Purchase and label all your medications to avoid confusing which should be taken in what amount and at what time
Make sure you maintain a stable, healthy weight prior to the procedure. Your skin will be examined to determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure. If you’re considering liposuction surgery, contact the Royal Centre of Plastic Surgery for more information.