We live in a society obsessed with looks and this has led to a dramatic rise in cosmetic surgery among the male population. According to a report released by the American Statistics of Plastic Surgery (ASPS), the number of men choosing to undergo plastic surgery continues to rise. Some plastic surgeons have reported that most of their patients are male; therefore, this is a clear indication that plastic surgery is not just for women. Here are reasons for the dramatic increase in male plastic surgery.
To Appear Youthful
Glossy male magazines have made men conscious about their appearance. While it’s natural for people to want to stay younger forever, aging is inevitable. This has led to the increase in male cosmetic procedures performed to help men achieve a youthful appearance. Some of the most common procedures include eyelid surgery, face-lifts, neck lifts and jaw augmentation.
To Stay Competitive in their Careers
According to a research conducted by the American Academy of Facial Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery, most men undergo cosmetic surgery to remain competitive in their work place. With increasing research showing that attractive people have more opportunities for career advancement, it’s no surprise that cosmetic surgery is being deployed as a tool for ascending the corporate ladder. In the corporate world, there is a lot of emphasis on image.
Men who are entering or re-entering the workforce at an older age are opting for plastic surgery. This is because they are competing for the same positions with younger applicants. Having a youthful appearance and a good resume gives them a competitive advantage over the other applicants.
Common Male Plastic Surgery
According to the 2013 American Society of Plastic Surgeons statistics, the most common male cosmetic procedures were as follows:
- Nose reshaping, also called rhinoplasty is performed to enhance the appearance of the nose
- There has been an increase in eyelid surgery which is generally used to brighten your eyes. ASPS statistics showed that 30,398 men underwent blepharoplasty in 2013
- In a society where obesity is a major problem, it’s not shocking that liposuction is a common procedure. The price varies depending on the amount of fat to be removed
- Gynescomastia involves removal of excess glandular tissue form the pectoral muscles. This procedure is common among body builders
- Neck lift surgery removes excess skin and fat from the chin thereby enhancing your jaws
- Gluteal enhancement, which involves fat transfer to make the glutes appear perkier
- Jaw augmentation is also common and is performed to enhance your facial structure to give it more definition
Make sure you have a good reason for seeking male cosmetic surgery, be honest with yourself about correcting a certain part of our body. If you are considering plastic surgery, make sure that you are making this decision for yourself but not to please someone else.